Saturday, August 10, 2013

Swirly words make no sense

 
Do you remember being a kid and all the crazy thoughts that ran through your head? Words and pictures just swirled round and round, and then you opened your mouth, but only a tenth of what you were thinking came spilling out? Like Owen the other day with his, "I'm not tired. I'm British." I would love to know what the other 90% was swirling in that melon of his. It's amusing to watching my kids grow and change and process all the information being thrown at them. It's a wonder they ever make any sense at all.

The swirling thoughts are best when they result in a question that catches me by surprise. Filled with curiosity or absurdity, I try not to laugh, but I do crack a lot of smiles while I think over the answer. I try to be cautious with my answers, because I can be hopelessly thoughtless when I open my mouth. I sometimes think I was born without a filter or just plain old common sense. I can't tell you how many times my husband has pointed out what I've said, explained the possible impact, ending with me hanging my head in disbelief that I could be so clueless or insensitive. Our kids are no exception, so I try to slow down and take special care. Children tend to do as you do, not as you say. While the lessons we try to teach them verbally are important, how Russ and I behave and conduct ourselves carries far more weight. I want them to see that their question is important and requires some thought before I just blurt out an answer. They are funny little boys with crazy thoughts that come flying out of their mouths, and I love that. So far they are taking after me with the speak now, think later thing. But I also remind myself that kids are open books, so I shouldn't worry. They haven't learned what filters are and how to use them. They innocently tell you exactly what they are thinking. Right now, I can't get enough of it. I just hope as they grow into adults, they don't inherit my "foot in mouth" syndrome. It will be Russ's job to make sure that doesn't happen.

No comments: